cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pete Farmer <p...@ubivis.org>
Subject Re: a lurker comes out... RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Mon, 29 May 2000 20:43:35 GMT
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

[deletia]

> > Executive summary:
> > How can I make a .pdf file without using tools from other projects?
>
> Never heard of FOP? :)

Yes, but until now I haven't migrated our printing subsystem to our Apache
Java XML framework - since DocBook v3.1 works so nicely, but now is
clearly the time. Thanks for pointing this stuff out. :)

> I received your document and I have a few comments:
>
> 1) Use standard DocBook 4.0 and not any Gnome-specific version
> 2) Use Norman's DocBook->FO stylesheet to generate the FO document
> 3) And format with FOP.

All above make sense. I was just at nwalsh.com and see some
specific Xalan notes re the 21 May update. Cool. This looks pretty
much ready to go. (How could I not have noticed this? It's been up over
one week already!)

> I'm not sure Norman's FO stylesheet works with FOP right out of the
> box... last time I tried it didn't work, but it might well a very small
> thing.

I'll give it a try and see if we get crystals.

> Anyway, forget Jade and all that SGML tools. We are in a new world now
> :) Let's use it!

I will shed my 20th century mentality and be more clueful in future. :)

btw, I have studied mazzocchi.com and look forward to learning of Soil
Remediation at Apachecon in London.

Thanks again,
Pete Farmer
--
   ubi-vis, adv. [volo], where you will, be it where it may, wherever it
   may be, anywhere, everywhere: nemo sit, quin ubivis, quam ibi, ubi