cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pete Farmer <p...@ubivis.org>
Subject Re: a lurker comes out... RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Sat, 27 May 2000 09:17:42 GMT
On Sat, 27 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I would love to have documentation written in DocBook, but I don't want
> to use tools from other projects to do this.... Cocoon should build its
> own documentation!

Cool. In principal, I agree. This old dog may need to learn a few new
tricks to accomplish this, at the moment however. Btw, are you including
TeX in the 'tools from other projects' category? A "yes" here will
generate follow up questions)

> Why? well, Cocoon2 started as a merge between Stylebook and Cocoon1. Now
> we have completely lost probably many of the patterns used in both these
> projects, but this is good, we learned from past mistakes.
>
> Cocoon2 will soon have an Offline generator (in theory already does with
> Paul's patches).
>
> I would love to have HTML, PDF and WML documentation created out docbook
> documents and processed directly by Cocoon2.

Yeah I'm +1 that, I'll focus on that ideal.

> I've already planned to do this (Norman Walsh is a lurker in this list
> and already offered help in case we need to understand who to interpret
> the docbook schema), but if you can give us a hand in porting the
> documents to Docbook, that would be a _huge_ start.

Really? _huge_? I'll get started right away!

> What's WOL DP?
Exactly.
Sorry, that was a semi-snide referrence to an earlier thread. Hey, it was
late Friday night, and I was feeling obnoxious. No harm intented.

> And sorry, but why you keep saying "with images!", we
> would support images in DocBook just as easily as anything else. I'm
> missing your poitn.

Well, depending on your configuration, getting your documents to properly
handle images can be problematic. For example, RedHat 6x and SuSE 6x both
include DocBook, and a bunch of parsers and sgml tools, but neither handle
images properly without some tweaking of the installation. I can help with
the tweaks. But since we'll be using *Cocoon* project stuff, some problems
may disappear.

[sanctimonious open-source quote deleted]

> No small at all. Docbook is painfully complex to start and having some
> docs to use as example (I find learning by example much easier for
> markup languages) would be a huge help.

Done. I'll start once I get back from the shops. (it's saturday morning,
and the woman who does the cooking (Mrs Farmer) sets the agenda... and
Cocoon stuff isn't on it, I fear.

Aloha,
Pete Farmer

--
   ubi-vis, adv. [volo], where you will, be it where it may, wherever it
   may be, anywhere, everywhere: nemo sit, quin ubivis, quam ibi, ubi