cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pete Farmer <p...@ubivis.org>
Subject a lurker comes out... RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Fri, 26 May 2000 21:20:17 GMT
Thus spake David Wagner:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wished
> >
> > I wish I had a pool of writers :( but we don't.
> >
> I've been wading in your pool for a few days, and this seems a good time to
[deletion happens]

Longtime lurker, first time poster, Pete Farmer writes:

I have been lurking on these Cocoon lists for a while now, and am
embarrassed to say that I am an excellent example of someone who has
received maximum benefit from this project, while contributing the
minimum - zero.

Meanwhile, our whole Cocoon subsystem is just bitchen', thanks!

Like all small startups, our little venture is severely resource
constrained. However we would like to contribute something, and maybe this
is our chance.

I have no idea if this is a Cocoon documentation goal, (or not), but the
last Cocoon docs I saw were not in DocBook. If this is no longer the case,
please stop reading now... since, if you're on the Cocoon mailing list
you're busy enough already!

If not, as many of you know, LDP has begun using DocBook, as has the GDP
(Gnome), and if you like the look of Brett McLaughlin's work at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml/chapter/ch09.html, there's another
good reason to consider it.

If the Cocoon group is interested in going this way too, and could
use some DocBook *expertise, (setup can be a minor hassle) I would be
happy to get things set up, do a first pass at the markup and generally
provide support in this area. The new Gnome DTDs now support .png images,
btw.
*expertise is a bit of a stretch, but I've recently set up DocBook on a
few different organic linucies, so I'm pretty confident I can get it going
on yours, and perhaps offer advise on various editing software (text and
image), set up a Makefile, use CVS, or whatever may be of use, since not
all tech writers are familiar with these tools.

If this is of interest to anyone, please lemme know. Otherwise, thanks for
all the great work done so far, and we'll continue looking for an area
where we can help.

This is in no way intended as an endorsement for DocBook, Gnome, O'Reilly
or any other entity I may have mentioned. I have no affiliation with any
of these organizations mentioned. This is strictly an offer to assist
anyone wanting to get DocBook working (properly, with images!) on the
Cocoon project. ...sorry, I don't have time to focus on WOL DP just at
the moment, before anyone asks... ;-)

Hey, our contribution to Cocoon may be small, but at least we are giving
what we can to the open-source ideal we hold sacred. Have fun!

Aloha,
Pete Farmer
--
   ubi-vis, adv. [volo], where you will, be it where it may, wherever it
   may be, anywhere, everywhere: nemo sit, quin ubivis, quam ibi, ubi