cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Pat Laplante" <plapla...@vanteon.com>
Subject RE: [wanna laught?] Microsoft invented XML
Date Tue, 16 May 2000 13:39:57 GMT

> Write-Once-Run-Everywhere is THE THING, and anyone who doesn't get that,
> should go back and hack C++ on  a dozen Unices.

I agree with the sentence Write-Once-Run-Everywhere.... but I don't agree
with the "hack C++".  If you hack C++, you are a bad programmer and you
shouldn't be coding at all.

C++ is fast, you can do what you want with it (and that is the problem).
Some bad engineer use it badly and it became a hack.

On the other side, Java implement really nice design pattern and concept.
But the speed of a java app is way too slow.  I am running Java app on a
PIII 500Mgz and I have the impression of being back on my old Pentium 100.

So Java is nice and clean, but until they improved the speed, it will never
replace C++ for desktop applications.....

Pat