cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Lavoie <philippe.lav...@cactus.ca>
Subject RE: [RT] Variations on themes from Cocoon2, XLink and RDF
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 20:42:16 GMT

One thing is certain, you are spending a lot of tought on this :)

Some comments about your article.

- Are you hinting at an infrastructure where I could easilly have a human
readable xml file on my disk, however it would serve a XML file that is
computer friendly through a sitemap xsl ?

For example, I have something like

<document>
  <section title="Big title">
comment">people</footnote> reading this.</p>
  </section>
</document>

In a sitemap or whaterver xml file I define information that are suitable
for the site (author, date, etc) and the links between xml files (where is
the glossary for example)

Then cocoon will give a XML+RDF+...  to an XML aware browser (or search
engine) Is that what you are saying ?

- (Related to the above) What I love about Cocoon, is my ability to serve
HTML files. We found that the big gains comes more in maintainability. To
that end, the xml files have to be dead simple (very human readable and
editable). Would all that RDF stuff make it harder for people to generate
xml files ? Or would Cocoon handle that complexity (as I mention above) or
with another schema ?

- Your article seems to hint at spending a lot of energy to make web crawler
return more relevant hits for when they start crawling xml files. Does that
mean that other concerns are done and over with ?   (yeah, I can't keep up
with all the e-mails on this list, so I might have missed some of the
progress made ;)

Anyway, the future looks bright :)

Of course, it will be brighter for me when I find a way to do RAD in Java +
Cocoon. I'm sure it's just that I need to start using this EJB stuff...
right ?

Have fun

Phil