cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wagner" <dwag...@sa.kevric.com>
Subject RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Wed, 24 May 2000 15:14:03 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wished

> I wish I had a pool of writers :( but we don't.

I've been wading in your pool for a few days, and this seems a good time to
go off the deep end, so to speak.  I am currently working as a computer
programmer and web site developer for a small environmental company.  Prior
to this I worked for the US Air Force doing environmental work, the last
four years of which involved teaching and writing technical course
materials.  By the end of those four years I had designed, programmed,
implemented, and provided the content for a custom (and open standards
compliant) online courseware system covering environmental topics.

The Cocoon project is very much like a web site generation tool I've
prototyped for my own use over the past few months.  The architecture Cocoon
uses, as I can make out from the mailing lists, is one I considered but
discarded for a few reasons, one of which being I don't happen to own a web
server right now so I am focusing first on offline static site generation.
If all goes well, I'll switch it over to dynamic generation (though only for
pages containing dynamic content; I happen to LIKE remote caching of
relatively stable documents) once I have the system stabilized and own a
server.

What I am doing is not in competition with Cocoon since 1) I am not yet a
Java programmer, a situation leading naturally to 2) my system uses only
tools already available, at this point just an XSLT processor.  (There is
also a major design difference I won't go into detail about at this time
unless y'all really want to know; I understand the Cocoon2 design is Etched
in Stone.)  In addition, I do not plan to compete with or to profit much
personally from this or any other software since I am far more interested in
helping solve pressing environmental and social issues than in making a
buck.

-- Processsing Warning: Soapbox issue detected without proper enclosing
elements. --

I am, however, intimately familiar with the W3C and other specs, especially
XSLT, XML 1.0 and related mini-specs like XBase, XLINK, RDF and its family
and dependencies like the Dublin Core, CSS, HTML 4, XHTML, and an additional
host of RFCs and such.  I am getting a handle on XML 1.1, Schema, and all
the rest, since I have found my system will remain crippled (or at least
hacked around) until namespace, modularization, schema support is stabilized
and implemented.

Oh, yes.  I have been programming for about 20 years (nearly two-thirds of
my life--gek!), but have not yet had a chance to use the Java language,
though this may change if my current employer follows through with a
proposal to set up a Linux box here running Apache.  (Yes, I've already told
the system administrator about Cocoon, and have an application or two for it
on my overflowing back burner.)

Let me know what one swimmer in your author pool can do.  I'm probably in
over my head, but the water seems fine so far!

-David