cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Mon, 29 May 2000 07:40:52 GMT
on 29/5/00 12:20 am, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Mark Washeim wrote:
>
>> Hej, Stefano, please! Cocoon 1 is not a hacked design. You may have found it
>> wanting but it's no hack. The reactor pattern and the use of PIs is a
>> perfectly sound design. I think in the interests of central administration
>> (something I sometimes question the wisdom of) you wound up with pipe-lines.
>
> Central administration (meaning a central location for all managing
> informations) it's indeed a bad thing.
>
> This is why the sitemap can be cascaded.

I only recently recognized this when following through your recent posts on
the sitemap revisions.

>> Although I realize it's far too late in the day for this discussion, I for
>> one intend on using cocoon 1.7.x well into the future, if only to create
>> environments in which novice users can play (ie, create 'standalone'
>> documents which will be processed under the 'old' model).
>
> I still believe that Cocoon2 will _totally_ replace Cocoon1 in all
> aspects.
>
>> In any case, cocoon 1 represents clean code AND design :)
>
> Thanks. I agree I did think of all aspects when writing Cocoon1, but
> many information came out after I proposed the reactor pattern (almost
> exactly a year ago, BTW, right before the first Exolab).
>
> I do think Cocoon1 is useful, stable and fast enough to be used today in
> commercial enviornments. I second that.

My impressions of performance, without yet the metrics to back it up
demonstrate that. I have about 5 days left and I'll have a reasonably
finished version of Eurofootball for everyone to look at. That should give
us some idea of how well cocoon (1.7.4) responds in a high volume context.

> But even if Cocoon1 is the future of many server side commercial
> applications, it's already the past for this project.

Granted.

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.