cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Squaring the sitemap circle...
Date Sun, 28 May 2000 09:14:43 GMT
on 27/5/00 1:05 am, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Ross Burton wrote:
>>
>> "Ross was right, I was wrong." - Stefano Mazzocchi
>>
>> Do you mind if I print this out and frame it?
>
> Not at all :)
>
> Hey guys, look: I'm a 25 year-old college student that happens to like
> thinking and building things. That's it. I'm no genious, I'm no master,
> I'm no guru. I just have a big whiteboard hanging in my bedroom.
>
> And I've been wrong so many times I can't even count them....

Hmmm. The hallmark of the guru, self-effacing and self-aware . . .

> ....but one thing I learned during my Apache experience is that "there is
> always somebody smarter than you", this is why I always try to give
> people all possible respect, if not, I might miss the occasion to know
> all those smarter than me and to learn something from them.

Ok, I'd say we nominate Stefano in the stead of the Bejing appointed Panchen
Lama. It's about time we and the Tibetans got a proper spiritual leader...

> This is the attitude that allowed me to _learn_ to much during the last
> three years of my open source experience... yes, I lowered my studying
> priorities (all my friends graduated last year or the year before), but
> I've learned more than any college course could offer me: the ability to
> be a valid member of a community of great people and to be able to
> enlarge it by teaching others what I learned.

This recognition of the vitality of community over contract, engagement over
base obligation is so bloody cool. I've been struggling since I was twenty
to find inroads in contemporary society (in the main when I was living in
Canada) to participate in the community rather than just go shopping in it
before retreating to the bastion of 'home'.

I've observed that arts communities have been more or less 'open-source' for
some time. Certainly in my experience, the willingness of artists to use
collaboration as a means learn and produce works I've witnessed directly
when working in the theatre and dance communities. I've met the most
extraordinary people in those communities. People with inexhaustible
imaginations and of sufficient will to shape their world.

People like you guys :)

> I started this project alone and look how many I influenced with both my
> ideas, my software and, I hope, with my attitude and example.
>
> I see you all as friends, not colleagues or work mates. And I can feel
> the same from many of you. I could also feel some of you changing their
> views day by day to this opinions.
>
> Many tell me I seem wiser for my age. I believe I'm just as curious as I
> was when I was three... and, quoting the Socrates, "the only thing I
> know is that I don't know" :)

You are wise for your age :) Yippee! And here's to curiousity! And to
learning from our friends!

PS. Any of you familiar with Italo Calvino's books? Mr. Palomar strikes me
as especially pertinent for some reason....

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'