cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: XSP sample doesn't work for me.
Date Thu, 25 May 2000 21:26:38 GMT
on 5/25/00 12:46 PM, Albert, Kevin at kjalbert@software.rockwell.com wrote:

> From the Cocoon faq found at http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html
>
> Problem:
> I get the exception telling me that the method
> org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.normalize(ElementImpl.java:290) could not be
> found. What's wrong?
>
> Solution:
> This happens because Cocoon needs a DOM-leve2 implementation and you probably
> have a DOM-level1 included in your classpath _before_ xerces.jar.
>
> So, either remove the instances of your DOM-level1 packages (normally included
> in xml.jar or jtidy.jar) or place the xerces.jar archive that comes with
> Cocoon before all the other jar packages in your classpath. This should fix
> your problem.

Just a heads up to whoever is maintaining the FAQ.  Removing xml.jar (which
comes with Tomcat) only causes more problems as Tomcat relies on that to
parse it's configuration files.    This FAQ should say that you must put
xerces before xml.jar in your classpath rather than "either remove it place
it in front of"

Mike