cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon going to be harmful for XML?
Date Wed, 10 May 2000 18:21:40 GMT
on 10/5/00 8:02 pm, COFFMAN Steven at SCoffman@CBSINC.com wrote:

> I'm not so sure about the web being immune to abuse.

Of course, not. That wasn't my point. My point was that the origins of abuse
are not necessarily corporate (ie. citizens of democracies are responsible
for bad government, not government itself). Also, I don't know of any of the
content providers I count on who would enter into 'pay per view' type of
arrangements for their content. Those who would are of very little interest
to me. Now, those who want to watch Mike Tyson fight will ALWAYS find they
have to go through 'chanels'.

> Light is a search engine that requires a subscription to use it
> ("Categorizing the web into blue custom search folders").
>
> XML has the potential to insure that every search will yield exactly what
> you want. If Cocoon websites expose the XML source to only "trusted"
> companies like Northern Light, and all of them adopt pay-for-search or
> subscription policies, you're halfway to Stefano's nightmare.

Where I see this search / information problem really coming to the for is in
the domain of 'news'. However, there, it's not a technology problem at all.
It's simply a problem that very few (eg. the wire services, Rupert Murdoch
:) ) control the original content. Whether or not it's freely accessed is
actually of little concern. It's still 'manipulated'. Well, ok, if you agree
with Chomsky, et. al., as I do.

In the main, my point was that it's not so much a problem of the medium or
the technology. Rather, it's a problem of who intends what information to be
used to what ends. That problem will remain in any regimen. No technological
solution can address this. Only a social / 'legal' / cultural 'solution' can
address this. And then, I suggested that open source is part of the
social/cultural solution now bearing that fruit....

Mark

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.