cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: [Cocoon 2.0] Beta Version on the 19th?
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 17:38:40 GMT
<snip>
Thus, the problem with offline development. Hey Pier, I'd personally
prefer you to continually check in the development code in CVS. I mean,
hell, it's an alpha branch, it doesn't bother me if it doesn't work or
even compile, but it does allow the rest of us to play in the repository
too. Might even mean less work for you in the long run. Hell, I'd be +1 to
have Paul check in his patches now unless it'd really mess you up.

- donald
</snip>

+1...release early, release often...

I have to admit it is kind of cool to suddenly have a whole slew of changes
checked in with a whole bunch of new functionality, but it also prevents
anyone who might have an interest in contributing from having any idea
where the project stands.  The last checkin Pier made was on April 6th...
more than a month ago.  There have been no status updates until now (at
least to the general list...or I missed them, and I'm an idiot.  :) ).

Frequent check-ins also provide opportunity for more peer review.  If
someone sees something that sucks, they can say so instead of waiting for
a month or two and having that much more code to wade through...or finding
out that the something that sucks is an integral component of the entire
design (not that I'm saying that Pier would do that...it's just the
principle of the thing).

- Sean T.