cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Pipeline conditional model
Date Wed, 31 May 2000 07:06:26 GMT

> > I don't like either models so I proposed
>
> > <if>
> > <else-if>
> > <else>
>
> Um.  Is there really that great a difference between:
>
> <case>
>  <when ...>
>  </when>
>  <when ...>
>  </when>
>  <otherwise>
>  </otherwise>
> </case>
>
> and your "if else-if else" model?  As far as I can tell, there is not,
> except that the bounds of the subtree covered by the "if else endif"
> tags is less clear.

I still can't believe any of the above passes the "Stefano's girl friend
test".  Look at these examples.  You *are* defining a programming language.
I still prefer the clarity and simplicity of:

<xsp:logic language="NetRexx">
  select
    when ... then
      < ... />
    when ... then
      < ... />
    otherwise
      < ... />
  end
</xsp:logic>

If you really think you are smarter than Larry Wall and Mike Cowlinshaw and
others, then my recommendation would be to define a separate programming
language, let's XSP enable it, and let people choose.

- Sam Ruby