cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: XSP Implementation in PERL...
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 04:58:27 GMT

Ricardo Rocha wrote:
> I haven't found a way to permanently store generated classes from
> BSF (e.g. for Rhino or NetREXX). I feel this is very
> important in a server pages environment, where just loading
> existing classes speeds things up.
>
> Of course, Sam, I may be wrong and if such mechanism is already
> available for BSF I'd love to leverage it right away!

BSF currently supports compiled NetRexx and Java.  But I would be less than
honest if I didn't tell you that there were some unsolved issues with
compiled languages.

Fresh eyes on this problem would be good.

As this problem certainly isn't unique to server pages environments, it is
my hope that we can find a clean partitioning whereby callers wouldn't have
to be knowledgeable of the scripting language, or even if the language is
interpreted or compiled.  In the general case, even interpreted languages
can be "compiled" into Java code which invokes the script dynamically at
runtime.

- Sam Ruby