cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject SVG in FOP (Was RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks)
Date Wed, 24 May 2000 21:22:58 GMT
Keiron Liddle says that the W3C's Java DOM bindings for SVG has compilation
errors.

His patch against FOP 0.12.1 and his "fixed" version of the W3C's SVG DOM is
available at:
ftp://ftp.aftexsw.com/aftex/java/fop/

An example of output generated by this is available:
http://www.aftexsw.com/aftex/products/java/fop/Architecture.pdf

Although the current CVS (both main branch and 0.13.0 release) has support
for smooth shading (gradients) and OO colors, Keiron's patch was done before
that was there, so the support is inaccessible.

Keiron hasn't been able to work on FOP since May 9th. I've been too busy to
do more than nibble at the edges. Help would be appreciated.
-Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Burton [mailto:ross.burton@mail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 6:44 AM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks

> Where would you like FOP to be? If you mean vector graphics in PDF, FOP
has
> unapplied patches to do this (unapplied because W3C's SVG DOM
implementation
> is broken and requires custom fixes which average users can't do).
However,
> creating SVG out of spreadsheets and embedding it in XML or HTML isn't
> really FOP's deal.

Really, FOP should be a perfect SVG renderer.  It isn' which is why the
CSIRO package is used instead.

In what way is the SVG DOM broken?  I must admit to only glancing over it
and have been looking at what SVG can do.  I'll probably be working with the
SVG DOM soon, I think I'd better join the fop mailing list.

Ross Burton