cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: Is Cocoon going to be harmful for XML?
Date Fri, 12 May 2000 14:06:53 GMT
Yeah. Userland and Slashdot (the slashboxes) do RDF-based site syndication I
believe.

I dug around and found protocols of XML and RDF based markups for search
engines crawler/spiders, but few implementations. Confusing the issue are
crawlers/spiders that crawl HTML but locally store information as RDF. IBM
Alphaworks retired some RDF search and edit technology. Netscape uses an RDF
search to power my.netscape.com aparrently. DTSC and Purl.org created
HotMeta, an RDF crawler with very little information. I'm going to stop
looking, but if someone else wants to mess around, here's the relevant stuff
I found.

Name:	DAML - DARPA Agent Mark-Up Language
Who:	Tim Berners-Lee & Jim Hendler & DARPA
Link:	http://dtsn.darpa.mil/iso/programtemp.asp?mode=347
Status:	Due out this summer, with prototype implementation.

Name:	Dublin Core (in RDF)
Who:	W3 and friends
Link:	http://purl.org/dc/
Link:	http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/resources/dc/datamodel/WD-dc-rdf/
Status:	Dublin Core is the minimum set of information a crawler/spider needs
to accurately categorize and discover things. There's a working draft of
Dublin Core in RDF which looks like an easy thing to adopt.

Name:	Metalog
Who:	W3
Link:	http://www.w3.org/RDF/Metalog/CIKM-050299.html
Status:	Metalog is a language which also serves as an interface to RDF.
There's an implementation which can be used to phrase searches of RDF.

Name: HotMeta
Who:	DTSC & PURL.org
Link: http://www.dstc.edu.au/Research/Projects/hotmeta/search.html