cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pipeline conditional model
Date Wed, 31 May 2000 11:06:23 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> > > I don't like either models so I proposed
> >
> > > <if>
> > > <else-if>
> > > <else>
> >
> > Um.  Is there really that great a difference between:
> >
> > <case>
> >  <when ...>
> >  </when>
> >  <when ...>
> >  </when>
> >  <otherwise>
> >  </otherwise>
> > </case>
> >
> > and your "if else-if else" model?  As far as I can tell, there is not,
> > except that the bounds of the subtree covered by the "if else endif"
> > tags is less clear.
>
> I still can't believe any of the above passes the "Stefano's girl friend
> test".

Not directly (I tried two days ago :), but they did when incorporated
into visual drag-drop logic of conditionals (on a whiteboard application
I drew for her. Note: she studies chemistry and she's very brilliant,
but she doesn't have _any_ programming or formal languages background,
still simple visual componentization (a-la Lego) works for her).

> Look at these examples.  You *are* defining a programming language.

Please, define "programming language".

> I still prefer the clarity and simplicity of:
>
> <xsp:logic language="NetRexx">
>   select
>     when ... then
>       < ... />
>     when ... then
>       < ... />
>     otherwise
>       < ... />
>   end
> </xsp:logic>

This is not visually componentizable. That's the problem.

> If you really think you are smarter than Larry Wall and Mike Cowlinshaw and
> others, then my recommendation would be to define a separate programming
> language, let's XSP enable it, and let people choose.

It is clear you are failing to see my points.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.