cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Sitemap Definition
Date Wed, 31 May 2000 10:23:03 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:
> Going through the sitemap discussion from over the weekend made we want to
> sit down and remind myself what the sitemap should accomplish. I threw
> together this assessment:
> Ultimately, we want to present information to the user in a fashion
> appropriate to them as much as possible (HTML to a browser, WML to a wap
> phone, PDF to a browser that requests it specifically, etc.) Internally,
> we want the sitemap to tell us, given a request, what initial data we
> start with and what actions are needed to transform it into the results.
> We want to encode the rules for doing this in a sitemap file. We want the
> rule set to be sufficient to enable a given request to resolve to a data
> source and a set of filters. We want the function that handles the
> resolution to be able to depend on any request-time information (e.g.
> requested URI, request parameters, language preference, HTTP headers,
> etc.). We want the ruleset to be chosen to minimize both the number of
> rules and the average length of the sitemap file. (Really, we want to
> minimize ruleset creation and maintenance time, but that's a difficult
> metric to measure.)

> Does this cover everything or did I forget something?

We want to make this scalable with the site growth as well as allow XML
web applications to be easily "plugged-in", for example, to allow
projects like JetSpeed-next or the planned Bugoon to be dropped my like
WAR files for Tomcat.

Also, I would add, the sitemap should be future compatible with visual
component-building GUIs.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.