cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 Design WAS: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Sun, 28 May 2000 21:49:30 GMT
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> > > xlink:show defines where the resource is
> > > to display on the user's system.  For XHTML, the server would create
> > > the appropriate link to the resource such that it will display in the
> > > client at the right place, say as an img element (causing the client
> > > to generate a seperate request for the image itself).  For WML and PDF
> > > versions, an embedded image would be encoded and delivered with the
> > > document, as their standards specify.  XLINK defines
> > > xlink:show="embed" as, "An application traversing to the ending
> > > resource should load it for display in place of the starting
> > > resource... ...embedding affects only the display of the relevant
> > > resources; it does not dictate permanent transformation of the
> > > starting resource." [http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-behaviors]
> >
> > I know that, the problem is _how_ the server knows this for every
> > possible format language supported on the client side. Sorry, but I
> > think XLink is mainly useful on the client side.
>
> Perhaps as long as Cocoon helps XML-unaware clients understand XML one
> should draw the border between server and client somewhere within
> Cocoon. I.e. the "client" consists of some XML->HTML transformation
> powered by Cocoon and e.g. Netscape 4 displaying HTML.
>
> These "client layers" of Cocoon could well have some use for XLink.

Yes, I totally agree here.

The problem is that it might be _very_ tricky to do this, requiring a
bunch of URL-rewriting + session-state management + god knows what else.

But this is exactly one of the problems we'll have to solve in the
future... I'll follow with some more info in a future email...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.