cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Wed, 24 May 2000 18:11:02 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > >
> > > 2) clean up, update and regenerate the web site
> >
> > This is not clear to me. Regenerating the web site means to me running
> > "build.sh site", easy job. Update the web site has to do with writing
> > documentation, right?
>
> Not necessary. Just making sure the site is up-to-date.

Ok, I can take care of this, too.

> > And because it is a web site which represents the
> > project to the world it has to be done by a team of writers/editors. I
> > think this point is like 1) and 3) but for documentation. Maybe there
> > are people on the list willing to write documentation because they are
> > not that good coders but like to contribute in this way? Any out there?
> > In fact I am a miserable writer (well, at least in english)!
>
> I wish I had a pool of writers :( but we don't.

At least we should convince every developer to commit to the following
rule (its the same as for the turbine developers). Every class should
have some meaningfull javadoc comments for the class itself and for
every public method! I think with that someone can pickup those docs and
assemble general docs out of it.

Hey, cocoon developers/commiters, your votes please ;-)

BTW: Can those javadocs be written in the dtd we use for the site docs
(and also get the javadocs generated as usual by a 'build javadoc'?)

> > > 3) create the distributions
> >
> > Isn't this just a "build.sh dist" and write a "hello, here it is" mail?
> > (Yes, I know, after having the discussion of "should we make a new
> > release?" :-)
>
> Basically, yes.

Ok, so I offer to do that, too.

> > > 4) settle technical and human conflicts (if they happen)
> >
> > Yes, this is a project coordinators job.
> >

> > > But the most important responsibility is:
> > >
> > > 5) being there!
> >
> > I was always here, and so where others. What do you mean?
>
> Nothing more that what just said: a project coordinator cannot be silent
> or unresponsive. This is the main thing.

Ok, I stop lurking and be responsive as much as I can (THIS IS NOT A
COMMITMENT TO BE THE PROJECT COORDINATOR. ONLY COMMITING TO GIVE MY POOR
KNOWLEGE AWAY TO OTHERS ::--))

> > > 1) Ricardo has a working XSP implementation
> >
> > Check it in!!
>
> Well, I'll let him decide that :)

It's already in and its running!!!!!

> > > 2) Donald has a working XInclude filter (checked in)

Can we build a taglib uppon it, Donald?

> > > 3) Paul has written patches for static content generation (a-la
> > > stylebook)
>
> I'm working on improving them right now.

Ok.

> > > 4) I have more ideas on how the sitemap, xlink and RDF could be
> > > integrated
>
> More soon.

Geil, oh sorry :-)

> > > 5) some Tomcat installation docs have been written (but not checked in)
>
> will do ASAP.

I can help. I've already installed it and still remember how it was
done! Maybe you would send it to me for edit/enhamcement/correction.

> Hmmm, anyway, I think that "project coordinator" is a name too serious
> for this project... c'mon, let's have some fun... I propose the
> following roles:
>
> Giacomo -> Master of the Release Keys
> Ricardo -> Great Wizard of Turingland
> Donald -> Knight of the Golden Component

Yes, definitly! Let's rock 'n roll and teach the baby walking :-)

Giacomo