cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Making performance information available to docs
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 14:57:19 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Is there any way (I am willing to wait for Cocoon2) to make performance
> information available to a stylesheet or XSP so that it can be displayed
>
> visibly or logged if more than a certain amount of time?

Probably should be logged.  I don't see how it could be done visually.

> I ask this because of page debugging and performance enhancements are
> much easier when the information is readily available to you up front.
>
> The *one* nice thing about ColdFusion is the debug information it gives
> to the developer at the end of the page.  It gives you server time, SQL
> queries, SQL performance times, passed variables and values, and HTTP
> header information.  All of these things make debugging the speghetti
> code
> that it forces you to write a little easier to debug.

Does this happen on *all* deployed systems?  This seems like too much
information... *especially*  SQL queries.

I smell security hole :)

> My proposal is that a taglib will allow you to add hooks to obtain
> information
> that is pertenent to debugging that tag-lib (SQL taglib would provide
> the
> actual query and the time it took to process, etc.).  That way you have
> the
> information available to you when you need it.  Cocoon would use the
> Site-
> manager function to only generate that information to certain IP
> addresses
> (i.e. 196.168.0.241 adds the ?debug=1 variable to the URL or something
> like that).

It is a bigger problem than you think.  you would really need to put
this debug code into every taglib.  It makes *much* more sense to just
put JServ or Tomcat (with Cocoon and your web app) into a performance
analysis/profile tool like JProbe or OptimizeIt.

I could see a quick taglib that you could put at the begining and end of
an XSP file to time the whole thing... that would be easy enough.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org