cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Making performance information available to docs
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 13:22:11 GMT
Is there any way (I am willing to wait for Cocoon2) to make performance
information available to a stylesheet or XSP so that it can be displayed

visibly or logged if more than a certain amount of time?

I ask this because of page debugging and performance enhancements are
much easier when the information is readily available to you up front.

The *one* nice thing about ColdFusion is the debug information it gives
to the developer at the end of the page.  It gives you server time, SQL
queries, SQL performance times, passed variables and values, and HTTP
header information.  All of these things make debugging the speghetti
code
that it forces you to write a little easier to debug.

My proposal is that a taglib will allow you to add hooks to obtain
information
that is pertenent to debugging that tag-lib (SQL taglib would provide
the
actual query and the time it took to process, etc.).  That way you have
the
information available to you when you need it.  Cocoon would use the
Site-
manager function to only generate that information to certain IP
addresses
(i.e. 196.168.0.241 adds the ?debug=1 variable to the URL or something
like that).

That way the developer has direct access to information he needs to
debug
his code.  It will also help narrow performance problems: the SQL query
needs to be optimized, using an inneficient XSLT structure, Taglib has
an
error, XSP code has an error, etc.