cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Cocoon2] XSP 2.0 changes list
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 22:15:01 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 01:58:25PM -0400, Donald Ball wrote:
> > > 6) Taglib creation kit
> > >
> > > This to simplify the creation of taglibs.
> >
> > ha! would love to see it, but i don't see it happening.
>
> Heh. Cynic ;)
>
> Stefano: What exactly did you intend this to comprise?
> I *guess* it would be kindof the XSP 'SDK'...

Currently people are scared by XSP taglibs.

I admit I'm scared too and prefer to write "normal" XSLT logicsheets,
that work more like tag expansion that anything.

Ricardo wrote most of the taglibs and has his hands in everyone that's
been written (not many, in fact).

I, myself, never wrote an XSP taglib.

Why? well, a few reasons:

1) there is no documentation on how to do this.

Taglibs were introduced by Ricardo in what should have become XSP 1.1 or
XSP layer 2 (as we used to call it). Layer 3 should have been the
introduction to XBeans, which would represent the merging of EJB and
XML.

Layer2 got integreated into mainstream and never wanted to write
something because, in all honesty, I didn't believe that much in
taglibs. But I've changed my mind and I do see their main role for
separation of logic and content.

Layer3 is more or less JSP-bullshit and we never did any serious
resoning on that. (Note that even some of the Servlet Experts expressed
their concerns about J2EE marketing crap)

2) you need to know how to create code that merges with the compiled
page without generating errors.

3) you need a way to _debug_ your compiled pages and avoid the "black
box" syndrome where the code that goes either comes out fine or
generates a (more or less random) compilation problem. (this is, in
general, a problem with compiled server pages, but taglibs make this
even worse).

I think Ricardo has more ideas on how to make this simple.

I'll let him talk about it....

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.