cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <new.insta...@gte.net>
Subject Re: [wanna laught?] Microsoft invented XML
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 21:13:41 GMT

Ben Laurie wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> > > I agree.
> > >
> > > However, I for one don't buy into the dire consequences that many predict
> > > would occur if Java were open sourced.  Nor do I believe that open source
> > > is quite the panacea that some would seem to believe.
> >
> > I agree, anarchy != freedom
> >
> > > But I do believe that Java would be available more places, and the JDKs
> > > themselves would have a few less bugs, if the JDK itself was open source.
> > > In my mind, these are the two biggest impediments to "WORA".
> >
> > And I heard some rumors floating around that say JavaONE keynote will
> > present big surprises on this...
>
> Tut! You aren't supposed to spoil surprises (and why haven't I heard
> these rumours? :-)

I think what is more accurate is that you will hear talk (not
neccessarily a keynote) of what is going on. You have to realize that
there is a *lot* of pressure being put on Sun by major players like IBM
and the like; however, Sun does not /want/ to open source Java. They may
have to, they may have to compromise, there may be all sorts of things
they /will/ do. So before we all go cheering, let's be careful. We've
all seen the "revised" JCP, and the SCSL, which aren't nearly as great
as they /sound/ when you hear Sun talk about them.

I'm not saying I won't be the first to explode - I will. Heck, I work
for an open source company now. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't all
very /very/ careful when listening ;-) Just a clarification before
someone quotes Stefano saying Java is going open source ;-)

-Brett