cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "David H. Young" <david.yo...@lutris.com>
Subject Re: A request for opinions...
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 14:05:23 GMT
Hi Andy,
Enhydra XMLC is very much in the same space as Cocoon,
separating presentation from business logic.  But I've heard
it described as orthogonal in its goal/design to Cocoon.
It just takes a different tact.   What it does is use CSS IDs to
identify areas of dynamic content, compile up the page and
generate a DOM tree with accessor Java methods for altering
the area of dynamic content.

For example,
<UL>
<LI ID=Customer>John Doe</LI>

would be compiled by Enhydra XMLC into a Java DOM
class and would automatically generate a Java method
called something like htmlDocument.SetTextCustomer()
that would be used by the programmer to manipulate the
content.

There are a number of advantages to this approach.
#1 - unlike JSP, no Java code _or_ custom Tags are inserted
in the HTML, WML or XML page.
#2 - you can leave mocked up data, like "John Doe" above,
in the page.  With JSP, you have to always have two parallel
files (one with Java code, the other with the mocked up data).
#3 - your HTML designers can manipulate the arrangement of
the page without interacting with the Java programmer. (Enhydra
detects any changes and auto-compiles if there are any).

Those are the highlights.  It's just a different approach than
Cocoon.  I've seen on the enhydra mailing list that there are also people
who are integrating the use of Cocoon with Enhydra.  It's particularly
easy since Enhydra has also integrated Tomcat support.

David

--
David H. Young, Chief Evangelist
Lutris Technologies, Inc.