cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon going to be harmful for XML?
Date Wed, 10 May 2000 17:12:18 GMT
COFFMAN Steven wrote:

> So just as clients are detected and given different content (WML, HTML, XML,
> etc.) via sitemap, you want to do the same for RDF-crawlers, right? Cool.

Yes, you got my (admittedly very diluted) point :)

> Even if Cocoon, the system, supports RDF in this manner, the intances of the
> Cocoon-run sites have to write their sitemap and possibly XSL files to
> support it. I know I don't plan on supporting wireless devices on my site.
> Extra effort for no gain.

that's why I'm concerned about it. People today are very likely to know
instantly what client device they want to support, but RDF crawlers are
surely not one of these (given they don't even exist!)

> What are the possible rewards for their extra effort of RDF site support?
> 1. RDF Crawler search engines will now index their public content, as they
> probably want.
> 2. A local RDF search engine will now function, possibly integrating cocoon
> content cohesively with other parts of their website.
> 3. RDF will aid in maintenance of the website???
> Any other reasons?
>
> I don't know if #1 is enough motivation by itself.

and I know why: being no RDF seach engine around, you say, what's the
point?

> I have no idea if #3 is true, or could be made to be.

Maybe is possible to integrate RFD with WebDAV but this is getting
wild...

> I don't think that the software currently
> exists that would make #2 a real motivation.

Unfortunately so.

> As a side item, what do the
> current search engines identify themselves as?

I have no idea (anyone?)

> Are there any RDF crawlers?

There are "meta-crawlers", but not any RDF crawler that I know of.

> Is your message a call to write one?

No, even if I would love to host a project like this under
xml.apache.org since it would make total sense.

> Would it use regular expressions? :)

Seriously, no. That's the point: it should _not_ need to have special
capabilities to retrieve and recognize RDF information intermixed with
the resource content (or another view of the resource that provides just
RDF information).

How this amount of RDF data would be queried and searched is up to those
of you that have datamining experience....

.... hmmmm, maybe some of my college professors would be interested in
doing something like this...

let me try to convince them :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.