cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: Cocoon with Tomcat, part (n+1) ...
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 06:39:23 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Question for those tomcat users out-there (I know, I know, I should
> leave my sinking jserv boat), what would be the _easiest_ way to do a
> Cocoon distribution?
>
> The use of getResource() was added to allow the configurations to be
> loaded without requiring any change to both web.xml and
> cocoon.properties
>
> So, should we ship with
>
>  /conf/cocoon.properties
>  /WEB-INF/web.xml

I would suggest to have

  /WEB-INF/conf/cocoon.properties
  /WEB-INF/web.xml

so you can use the same protetion rule for the properties files as with
the WEB-INF directory.

I suggest the separate conf directory in the WEB-INF directory to
collect all conf files there in case you need to run other servlets
(like XMLForm or others) in the same context which needs sort of
configuration files.

> then in web.xml
>
>  <init-param>
>   <param-name>properties</param-name>
>   <param-value>conf/cocoon.properties</param-value>

   <param-value>WEB-INF/conf/cocoon.properties</param-value>

>  </init-param>
>
> ???
>
> What about WARs?

Maybe the build.xml can take care of building a WAR file. Then
everything you need is to put that WAR file into the webapps directory.
Maybe we should also change the path to the repository directory to the
WEB-INF diretory. This way the protection of the reportisory directory
is in place as with the cocoon.properties file.

I you want, I can take care of adding a war target to the build.xml

BTW: Did anybody get XSP running without having any components in the
classpath of Tomcat? I've seen a entry in the FAQ that mentioned that
Tomcat 3.1 should be able to run XSP out of the servlet context only.
But the installation docs does not seems to be in sync with that.

Giacomo

--
PWR Organisation & Entwicklung            Tel:   +41 (0)1 856 2202