cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Stimmel <>
Subject Re: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 01:01:37 GMT
On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 04:26:04PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Even if I don't have much time, I volunteer for that role, trying to
> coordinate effort and provide substantial background for this project to
> _happen_.

Hmmm... I had been assuming you already had this role...

> This would automatically close down the Cocoon 1.x branch, which will
> remain there just and only for bugfixes, but nothing else will added to
> that branch or backported from Cocoon2.

I would think that this is almost a given when development begins
on a major revision to a piece of software.

> But the project lacks coordination and I see forking frictions
> developping in the community, along with higher expectance.
>  [...]
> and I hope you all come and give us hands.

I'd love to, but how can I contribute when I don't know what needs to
be done? According to todo.xml, the only thing that needs to be done is
"make sure everything works". If that's the only thing left to be
done, cocoon2 should  be preparing for a final release ;) I had thought
about combing through the bug database and fixing some more "menial"
problems, but that's obviously not an option until it's brought back

<dons flame-resistant garment>
I love the direction that cocoon2 seems to be taking, but I'm becoming
a little disillusioned with it. From the outside, it seems to have a
very clear direction, but when I look under the hood I become frustrated.
Frequently I find myself asking, "Why was it done this way?", with nary
a comment for explaination. (Yes, I realise that this is part of the role
of the mailing list, but shouldn't it be more concerned with *making*
design decisions, rather than reiterating them?). Overall, I'm left with
the feeling that I'm looking at a collection of hacks, rather than an
organized software project.
<reverts to street clothes>

> and let's get things done, damn it, instead of waiting on out butts
> forever.

Agreed! I know I haven't done much to advance cocoon so far (lessee...
one patch to a minor bug in cocoon1 ;^), but I promise to post a
"documentation cleanup and enhancements" patch to DirectoryGenerator
within a couple days. Hey, it's not much, but at least it'll be
*something* =)

View raw message