cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Can Cocoon help enforcing the "semantic web"?
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 19:24:59 GMT
On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 07:25:37PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Here we are for another episode of the "random thoughts" series brought
> to you by Stefano's fried synapses.

And one with potential, I think. Can I borrow some fried synapses?
Do they go well with red wine? ;)

> [...]
> 4) Each Cocoon would be contacted by other agents (other Cocoon or
> equivalently behaving) and provide RDF views of its information,
> possibly already semantically processed to avoid the need of site
> recrawling of that agent.

5) Each Cocoon has the ability to release agents into the 'cocoon'
   network and learn about other cocoons, preferably *not* by
   actually visiting them all (that would, afterall be a worm -
   Not A Good Idea ;) but by sharing information with cocoons that
   it feels are 'close' in outlook.

For example, say I had a Cocoon about Cocoon. I was this Cocoon's
author, and I give the cocoon agent xml.apache.org to play with
as a resource. It hops off and talks to apache.org's cocoon, and
learns about it and gives xml.apache.org some information about
the 'local' cocoon. From this stems the idea that Cocoons will
eventually know about the other cocoons in their subject area,
and will occasionally ask them what's happening? has anything
changed? know anyone new? and that kind of thing.

One thing bothers me. Is this really Cocoon's job? Cocoon is a
nice package at the moment, I'd hate to see it get 'diluted',
regardless of the potential of the idea. Is there some way we
can make this thing generic?

If I've repeated what you meant anyway Stefano, then apologies,
my synapses too are somewhat the worse for wear at the moment ;)

Just a few thoughts...

Luminas Ltd.