cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon going to be harmful for XML?
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 20:01:44 GMT
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 12:03:06PM -0400, Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> Paul Russell <paul@luminas.co.uk> wrote:
> > but that's primarily because it uses XSLT, which is by its very
> > nature, not part of the origional XML concept.
> Huh?  Stylesheets and transformations have always been part of the core XML
> concept.  Perhaps I misunderstand this statement.

XML was originally designed as a markup language for information.
There are a group of people (I'm not one of them) who believe that
we've taken XML too far by applying transformation pipelines and
other machine centric approaches to what was a human centric format.

As I said, personally I think Cocoon is a good thing, and I don't
think we're 'breaking' anything (although I do think we have a long
way to go before we get it right). Anyway, work to do...

Luminas Ltd.