cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Williams, Murray Todd" <murray_willi...@merck.com>
Subject Why isn't org.apache.cocoon.xml stuff in Cocoon 1.7?
Date Mon, 01 May 2000 19:24:03 GMT
I've got a conversation thread that started in cocoon-users this morning,
but I'd like to pose it as a development question.

My particular question was how to write a Producer or Processor in Cocoon 1
that would be able to survive a move to Cocoon 2. I think the need for
something like this is apparent.  Unless a fairly stable Cocoon 2 is
expected out the door in the next couple weeks, people wanting to test
Cocoon for light production environments are going to start trying out
Cocoon 1.7.x and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw this happening with
increasing frequency.

It seems to me a natural thing to me for a person to write a "Processor" by
writing something that would extend org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLFilterImpl (or
maybe org.apache.cocoon.filters.Filter) and then create an adapter class
that would plug that filter into something that implemented DOMProducer and
DOMConsumer.

Unless I'm missing something, voila and you have a Filter that will act as a
Processor (with the caveat that you'll take a performance hit as a tradeoff
for being able to develop for both architectures.  It seems to me that this
is a good justification for adding the org.apache.cocoon.xml tree back into
Cocoon 1.7.

I'm going to try and work through an example for myself.  If anybody sees
anything particularly stupid with what I'm attempting, please let me know so
I can save some time.  Otherwise, if it seems to work decently enough I'll
make my own HOWTOish example.

I suspect things would get fowled up if I included both Cocoon1 and Cocoon2
in the same java instance, so I'm going to pull out the bare minimum classes
I think I need from Cocoon 2's org.apache.cocoon.xml.

Wish me luck!  I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone thinks of anything
positive, negative or informative.

Murray Todd Williams