cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin Britton" <cbrit...@mediabridge.net>
Subject RE: [C2] Stylebook features
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 14:26:22 GMT
SVG is a good way to describe any composite image with text and any bezier
content. Also being able to use drawing tools to generate the base SVG will
make using the tool much easier. It is going to be a while before SVG makes
it into the core browsers and a lot longer before it makes it into other
internet devices such as wap, palm pilots and digital TV devices.

Cocoon is a great environment for publishing to these many devices and being
able to control the image content along with the xml content within the same
sitemap would be great. Also being able to use the context of the request
and all the other power of cocoon variable images for different browsers
would be easy.

rgds
Colin Britton

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Russell [mailto:paul@luminas.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 9:23 AM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: [C2] Stylebook features

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 02:12:23PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> So, with the offline component for Cocoon 2 slowly making its way
towards
> the CVS, C2 is looking more like Stylebook every day.  But, Stylebook
has
> the cool image generation feature, used to generate the title and
contents
> images.

Indeed it does. Alchemy (see previous post) used Perl-fu
gimp modules (eek!) to achieve much the same.

> Any ideas of what would be the cleanest way of implementing this idea
in
> Cocoon 2?

I would have thought SVG is the cleanest and simplest way of
achieving that - gives you total flexibility to build the
images as you see fit, and we can serialize them to PNG
(using your code, Ross ;) until the browsers support SVG
directly.

Luminas Ltd.