cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: LGPL + APL = not good!
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 05:22:57 GMT
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Keith Visco wrote:

> If you really want to use a library. Write a wrapper for the library.
> Provide the wrapper, but not the library. Just instruct people where to
> get the library. It's that simple. We just don't want the LGPL'd code in
> the CVS.

That's all I've ever advocated. That's the point of linking against LGPL
libraries. I'm strongly -1 for refusing to allow components that link
against LGPL libraries. If I'm overruled, well, it's the simplest thing in
the world to distribute extra modules outside of the main codebase so
those who don't want to be limited by dogma don't have to be. :)

I can understand not wanting to bring LGPL code into CVS; that makes
perfect sense. I cannot understand why one wouldn't want to use LGPL
libraries. That's an overreaction.

- donald