cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <>
Subject Re: Playing with Cocoon 2
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:13:40 GMT
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> > I'm running into a similar problem with my XIncludeFilter. How do I get a
> > reference to the sitemap's parser (so I don't hard code xerces in)? If
> > Filters or SitemapComponents had access to the ComponentManager object,
> > I'd be set, but they don't.
> ???
> They don't if you don't want them to do.
> I know it's not easy to see it, but Cocoon2 incorporates many of the
> Avalon ideas for componentized and polymorphic frameworks.... that
> means:

>  "if you want something, add the interface that provides you that
> service"

No, it's very easy to see that it uses avalon's ideas extensively, but the
uses of the various interfaces aren't always obvious. Learning by example
is tricky too since it seems that any useful class extends three or four
other classes and implements at least a dozen interfaces (that is to say,
it implements three interfaces that each implement four more). We need a
class map poster for cocoon2.

> This is:
> Components do _NOT_ have access to other components. They are
> components, they are passive so they are _used_! They MUST NOT access
> any other component.
> On the other hand, it's perfectly normal that components need access to
> other components. For this reason you do

Read those two lines carefully. Read 'em again. Yep, nothing like a good
old Stefano paradox to get them neurons firing early in the morning.

Thank you, though. implementing Composer was just what I needed to do.

- donald

View raw message