cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Sanders <ssand...@octane.com>
Subject RE: [C2] Logging
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:47:39 GMT
Doesn't Avalon have a logging block?  Why don't you use that?

Scott Sanders

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Burton [mailto:ross.burton@mail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 7:04 AM
To: Cocoon Development
Subject: [C2] Logging

Hi,

All good things need a logging system, and as Cocoon 2 gets larger a decent
logging system is going be to essential to debug this thing.  :-)

I looked into hacking the Cocoon 1 log system into Cocoon 2 but there is a
problem which needs to be discussed: where is the current logger defined?

The first proposal would be "in the sitemap".  No - the same sitemap is used
for the servlet adapter (so a ServletLogger would be used) and the offline
generator which would probably use a FileLogger.  How about as another
argument to Cocoon.create(String config)?

If it became Cocoon.create(String configFile, Logger logger); then it is up
to the adapter class to handle creation of log systems.  To me that seems
sensible, the adapter from Cocoon to the real world knows which is the best
place to log.

I'll probably rip the logging interfaces out of Cocoon 1 and repackage them
under org.apache.cocoon.components.log (or logger?).

Any suggestions?  Is this a sensible patch or is there a better solution
which I didn't see.

Ross Burton