cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Cocoon 2 suggestions
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2000 16:03:46 GMT
OK - although I haven't looked at the C2 CVS closely, here are 2 things that
I think need to be addressed in Cocoon 2.

1)  XSP error handling.
    XSP needs to be able to be able to handle unexpected errors by returning
either a dynamic error page or rerouting to another predefined xml page that
is maybe set in Cocoon.properties or somewhere in the xsp taglib itself.
It's very painful while testing to see errors on populateDocument() being
spit out without being handled.   Obviously my web site will not have any
errors EVER but for those poor souls that have bugs in their code, I think
this would be very useful :-)

2)  Internationaliztion
    I've ranted about this several times on this list but haven't gotten any
response so I'll rant again....Internationalization using ResourceBundle's
with Cocoon/XSLT sucks!  With XSP, you can't access ResourceBundle classes
for some unknown reason.  I've posted this to cocoon-dev about 5 times and
haven't gotten any response as to why you can't access ResourceBundle
classes in the same classpath. Something must be going on behind the scenes
with ResourceBundle's and the classloader that I don't understand.  Also, I
don't think XSP is where the language lookup's necessarily should take place
(although I wouldn't mind it happening right now). Thoughts on this???
As for Xalan, while I can write an extension to lookup strings in
ResourceBundle's it only works with Xalan and it only works with Java right
now so it's a bit limiting and I'm not sure of any performance penalties for
doing this in-process with the transformation.
I don't know about anyone else but the apparent convergence on English as
the language of the web/future scares the crap out of me....

Thanks,

Mike