cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon2 and Tomcat
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:23:00 GMT
I looked at the issue, and I believe I tracked down the problem in Tomcat
and reported all of the details I could to the Tomcat list.  I could
probably hack a fix together, but I don't know enough about the Tomcat
architecture to feel confident making a change.  It doesn't look like anyone
wants to touch this for the 3.1 release, however, but a couple people
suggested some other workarounds that I'll try and take a look at to see if
they'll allow the DefaultServlet to remain in place.  If not, it just means
that you would have to place the DefaultServlet in all of your other context
paths' web.xml files.  Then everything would still work.  Since Cocoon2 is
still in pre-alpha mode, I don't see the screwing up off all your other
context paths as an issue.  You can just have a separate install of Tomcat
for working with just Cocoon2.

- Sean T.

-----Original Message-----
From: Timm, Sean [mailto:STimm@mailgo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 11:34 AM
To: 'cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Cocoon2 and Tomcat

Yes, you will get that error on every page except the cocoon context which
should now work.

As per the instructions, this appears to be a bug in Tomcat.  These
instructions are correct (to the best of my knowledge) when Tomcat is
working like it supposed to.  Unfortunately, right now DefaultServlet
overrides the Cocoon2 servlet (even though it's marked as the default
servlet for that context).  I've reported this on the Tomcat mailing list,
but I might try and look at the issue today if I get a chance.

I can't guarantee that these instructions will work for every source drop of
Tomcat, but I think the instructions should be targetted at the latest
Tomcat release build (which is 3.1rc1 right now).

- Sean T.