cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon2 and Tomcat
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:33:45 GMT
Yes, you will get that error on every page except the cocoon context which
should now work.

As per the instructions, this appears to be a bug in Tomcat.  These
instructions are correct (to the best of my knowledge) when Tomcat is
working like it supposed to.  Unfortunately, right now DefaultServlet
overrides the Cocoon2 servlet (even though it's marked as the default
servlet for that context).  I've reported this on the Tomcat mailing list,
but I might try and look at the issue today if I get a chance.

I can't guarantee that these instructions will work for every source drop of
Tomcat, but I think the instructions should be targetted at the latest
Tomcat release build (which is 3.1rc1 right now).

- Sean T.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sven Kuenzler [mailto:svenk@gmx.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 10:58 AM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cocoon2 and Tomcat

> Hmmm...you say you're running 3.2b...do you mean you pulled it from CVS?
> The very latest binary release you can download is 3.1rc1.  If you're
> getting the welcome message, it means that the Cocoon2 servlet is not
being
> loaded, and the DefaultServlet is pulling the default document
(index.html)
> >from the docBase.

No, I do not use a cvs version of tomcat. The 3.2b source distribution
is available as tar.gz from the Jakarta homepage.

> Dang, my bad.  I just realized what I did wrong.  That DefaultServlet
> section is located in the web.xml located in [path-to-Tomcat]/conf.
Remove
> that section, and everything should work.  I've attached a revised
> installing.xml to this message.

When I remove this, Tomcat won't serve anything not even normal pages
from other contexts. Every request returns:

Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.NullPointerException:
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:523)
[...]

Again, I am a Tomcat beginner, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But
something called _Default_Servlet seems something very basic, so I don't
like the idea of removing it from the config.

  Sven....