cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: Java and XML Beta Chapter
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:40:17 GMT

Paul Russell wrote:

> Indeed. Unfortunately, perl is going to be something of an issue, given
> Cocoon is a 100% java project :(
>
> Any bright ideas how to get around that one? The obvious solution I guess
> is to put the perl language module into a separate module, and use JNI.

See http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/bsf .  The approach taken is to use
JNI to provide linkage into the language that you already have on your
machine.  Windows users, for example, could plug in VBScript and then have
access to the same objects that ASP users do.  Python in order to attract
those Zope users.  Zend for PHP.

> I certainly don't relish the thought of reimplimenting perl in java ;)

I have my doubts that it will ever happen, but check out the last line in
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/prkunix/info/more_jpl.html .

- Sam Ruby