cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.0: proposed battleplan
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:17:06 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> 1) move all the taglib stuff into a filter so that one can go from
>>>
>>>     <util:date/>

>>>     <xsp:expr>new Date()</xsp:expr>
>>
>> That presumes that the default page language is Java, or that
expressions
>> in other languages are not supported.
>
>Wrong.

Are you sure?  Read on... ;-)

>> Or even more scary (and exciting!)
>> is the possibility that multiple languages can be intermixed on one
page.

>right, this is not possible. Af first I thought about flexibility
>syndrome because I was expecting one and only one programmer to work on
>a single XSP page at once. But Ricardo's taglibs changed the picture
>since logicsheet and page creation are finally decoupled.
>
>Maybe we should rethink about that part.
>
>Sam, do you have any ideas on how this can be implemented?

Quite frankly, that's what you need something like BSF for.

The way you approach a problem like this is you canonicalize it.  You pick
a single internal implementation language and get it work well - nobody
would be interested in testing for the wild number of possible permutations
involved.