cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: JDK 1.2?
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:36:23 GMT
As for BSD emulation, are you using Sun's or Blackdown's JDK? How old is
your FreeBSD (and the version of Linux it's emulating)? Blackdown's is
better, but you need more up-to-date software to run it.

On Linux, you're right, you can't run Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 RC4 OR Sun's JDK
(which is a hack of Blackdown 1.2.0 RC1 I believe) on RedHat 5.2 due to the
libc version issue. You probably can't even run it on RedHat 6.0 without
upgrading stuff. For the Blackdown RC4, I needed to upgrade RedHat 6.0's
glibc to 2.1.x (and I may have already upgraded other stuff).

As for whether the RedHat 5.2 user base is a problem or not, there's a
faction of system administrators that lag behind updating for security and
stability reasons, like the Debian distribution. Following this reasoning,
they should not adopt Cocoon 2.0 for a similar lag. Everyone already agreed
that JDK 1.2 should be widely available on all major platforms by Cocoon's
release if not by beta. If the system administrators want to lag behind on
the JDK 1.2 the should consistantly lag behind on Cocoon adoption. So
there's no problem unless they're inconsistant.
-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Laurie [mailto:ben@algroup.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 5:35 PM
To: Cocoon
Subject: JDK 1.2?

Someone said here, ISTR, that the Linux JDK 1.2 ran OK under FreeBSD's
Linux emulation. Not for me! Not even a little. So, how's it done (bear
in mind I know nothing about Linux emulation)?

Naturally, assuming Cocoon 2.0 still requires JDK 1.2, this is kinda
vital functionality for me.

BTW, seems it shouldn't work on RH5.2, either (wrong libc version) - is
this a problem?

Cheers,

Ben.

--