cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Where to begin? =)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:47:46 GMT
Jonathan Stimmel wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 06:07:42PM -0700, Simon wrote:
>
> > Ever thought about distributed Cocoon processing?  Multiple processing
> > engines, one giant distributed cache...  Just an idea.
>
> Not a bad idea, though I'm not certain the benefits would necessarily
> outweigh the potential drawbacks of such an implementation.  My personal
> wish list for the cache includes the following two qualities:
>
>   - "globally" available - with separate cachespaces (e.g. an XSP
>     page could use the cache w/o worrying about stepping on anyone
>     else's toes)
>
>   - psuedo-modular - cache could be maintained in memory, filesystem,
>     high speed database, ...  (with such a design, a central cache
>     server probably wouldn't be too difficult to add)

I'm working on a distributed cache engine at the moment, using reliable
multicast to do the distribution (people at ApacheCon probably remember
me bending their ears about this :-). Could be funky for this.

Its called "Splash", btw. Already working in prototype. Watch this
space.

Oh, and perhaps the most important feature is that it has no central
server.

Cheers,

Ben.

--