cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: [RT] XForms, scripting and client side dynamism
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:39:00 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> So I looked around and I found a reference to www.mozquito.org, which is
> an interesting concept, even if very ugly in many design details. (I
> suggest you to take a serious look at it). Basically it's a tranformer
> that is able to transform extended XHTML into DHTML (dynamic HTML).
> Basically, it "compiles" the extended XHTML page into a javascript
> source file that is able to generate the right page on the browser
> screen. It's "almost" like client side compilation.

Yup.  This is needed.  This has sort of been talked about for Servlet
1.3.  The whole technology set really lends itself to XML (data typing,
validation, etc) and it needs to happen.  (and has needed to happen for
a while.)

> Dynamic HTML is very cool. The creation of DHTML taglibs would be a way
> to let people write nice pages without worrying about "which browser is
> which" and fill their scripts with "if(ie4)" ifdefs. I'm not talking
> about fancy "flash-like" DHTML, but stuff like "click here to modify"
> type of things, or WML-like decks for slideshows, or onMouseOver()
> events. All those fancy things that you normally consider crap because
> of incompatibilities and cost of ownership.

I agree.  DHTML had (still has with Mozilla) but is client specific at
best.  A decent stylesheet could make data input much better.

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org