cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <new.insta...@gte.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon2: HTML pretty printing.
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:26:22 GMT

"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> Brett McLaughlin wrote:
> >
> > Paul Russell wrote:

> > > yeah, it certainly does in cocoon 1.x. The current HTML serializer
> > > for cocoon2 doesn't use Xerces though - anyone know why?
> >
> > I would advocate against using anything Xerces- or otherwise-specific.
> > The whole idea of Cocoon is we don't tie you to a specific parser.
> > Pretty printing is simple enough to do without resorting to eliminating
> > lots of parsers from being able to do it.
> >
> > -1 on ever seeing:
> >
> > import org.apache.xerces.[anything];
> >
> > in code.  I would have to see a /really/ good reason to change my mind
> > on this.
>
> I believe this should be an option... I would say, +1 on keeping our
> stand-alone serializers, and +1 on the development of a TrAX-based
> serializer (the ones in Xerces will be using that API).

If it's done elegantly, ie. though reflection, I think that's OK.  Or if
there is a standard API, and we're using a Xerces impl, (like we use the
Xerces impl of DOM and SAX), that's fine, because we can make it
pluggable.  What I'm getting at (and I think you probably agree) is not
to lock our users into a single vendor's solution/parser/whatever.

besides, why are you up so late on easter weekend on a friday... nerd
;-)

-brett, installing linux (a real nerd) tonight on his new laptop...