cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <new.insta...@gte.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon2: HTML pretty printing.
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:35:20 GMT

Paul Russell wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 11:13:54PM +0100, Robin Green wrote:
> > Paul Russell <Paul.Russell@uea.ac.uk>
> > >Are people happy for me to implement this in the HTML serializer?
> >
> > I am. I think Xerces can already do it with a simple one-line option setting
> > (just in case you didn't know).
>
> yeah, it certainly does in cocoon 1.x. The current HTML serializer
> for cocoon2 doesn't use Xerces though - anyone know why?

I would advocate against using anything Xerces- or otherwise-specific.
The whole idea of Cocoon is we don't tie you to a specific parser.
Pretty printing is simple enough to do without resorting to eliminating
lots of parsers from being able to do it.

-1 on ever seeing:

import org.apache.xerces.[anything];

in code.  I would have to see a /really/ good reason to change my mind
on this.

-Brett