cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: LGPL + APL = not good!
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:32:02 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip>
> > Just as Microsoft forces you to not only choose them once, but over and
> > over and over again (as compatibility spirals), LGPL forces you to
> > choose LGPL over and over and over again.  You are assuming that a
> > choice like using this or that library from LGPL is a /single, isolated/
> > choice, when in fact, it forces choices long down the line.
<snip>

I don't buy it.

GPL/LGPL exists for only one reason and that is to enforce the rights of
the original author.  The truth is that source republication and this is
a very important part of the future.

I feel that we should use the GNU regexp as much as we want... but code
to an interface we create.  Then someone can write their own regexp if
the believe that the GPL is too restrictive.  Don't ship the GNU regexp
or anything else just say that ... hey.  this library happens to work.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org