cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LGPL + APL = not good!
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:56:54 GMT
"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > People,
> >
> > the xml.apache.org PMC has voted on "indications" about license mixing.
> > We agreed that incorporating LGPL code for a java project might be
> > dangerous for a simple reason:
> >
> >  - it's not legally clear the difference between code that belongs to
> > the library and code that does not.
> >
> > This means:
> >
> >  - it would be legally hard to defend code that has ships with APL +
> > LGPL code.
> >
> > While I partially disagree with this vision (if you distribute a
> > library.jar file that includes both class and source code, that's
> > clearly a library!), I totally agreed on the votation that using xGPL
> > code is asking for trouble, expecially since _many_ of the companies
> > involved around here did exactly for the lack of xGPL stuff around.
>
> Define legally hard?  I mean what are they going to do?  Say that APL
> code is all of a sudden APL code?

This is exactly the attitude that would ge us in trouble. In case you
didn't notice, the ASF is responsible for the software that runs more
than half of the internet and how much money is this worth?

People get _killed_ for a lot less. A _lot_ less.

We do _not_ have the money to go to trial and unlike the FSF, we want to
stay away of legal issues so we don't have legal consultants.

Legally hard? anything that can't be settled with: sorry, I fucked up.
And this is not such a thing if we starting going into the APL + xGPL
path.

Jon is asking the same thing for Turbine + WebMacro integration to the
ASF board and everybody is unhappy with the idea of mixing that code
(keep in mind that WebMacro is GPL-ed!)

> > Given that many project were donated to us and are still pushed by some
> > big companies, it would be totally stupid to avoid further contact and
> > collaboration on a particular project because of legal fear due to a
> > simple library that wasn't available in BSD form.
> >
> > NOTE: the PMC has the right to "indicate" what a project should do, but
> > has no right (ASAIK) to "force" a project to do it. Nevertheless, I
> > agree that while technical reasons can have a digital answer (yes/no,
> > works/doesn't-work), legal opinions are completely anologic, expecially
> > without examples of real-life trials.
>
> Could we see the text of this vote?  It is hard to agree with a decision
> like this without any data.

Dirk, is the pmc list browsable? if not, we should make it so, don't we?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.