cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <brettmclaugh...@earthlink.net>
Subject ANN: JDOM
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:33:16 GMT
Java + XML = JDOM
If you're from the Silicon Valley area, you may be interested in
attending the Mountain View Java User's Group meeting April 26th where
I'm scheduled to talk about JDOM. Here's the blurb:

What do you get when you mix Java and XML? You get JDOM, the Java
Document Object Model. Haven't heard of JDOM? That's because it's *brand
new* and this talk is one of the first chances to learn about it! Soon
you'll probably hear about JDOM everywhere.

JDOM is an open source API for easily and efficiently reading and
writing  XML data. It's a replacement for the ridiculously complex DOM
and SAX APIs. Unlike DOM and SAX, JDOM is optimized for the Java
programmer; it uses standard Java programming idioms and takes advantage
of Java language features. The result is a document model that's more
powerful than DOM and operates at roughly the speed of SAX.

This talk is being given by the co-creators of JDOM -- Jason Hunter,
author of "Java Servlet Programming" (O'Reilly), and Brett McLaughlin,
author of the soon-to-be-released "Java and XML" (O'Reilly).

For details see http://www.mtvjug.org.

If you're in the area, folks, check this out - we have quite a few
surprises in store for you.  Not only do we offer a /very/ attractive
alternative to SAX and DOM, we are still 100% interoperable with SAX and
DOM - you can create a JDOM Document from SAX, DOM, and a variety of
other formats, and output to DOM, fire SAX events, plus some more
treats.
This is, in fact, an idea that Jason and I came up with merged with
support from James Davidson and Pier Fumagalli, who had done some
initial work of their own on the concept.  I hope to see you there.

-Brett McLaughlin
Author, "Java and XML" (O'Reilly) July 2000
Author, "Enterprise Applications in Java" (O'Reilly) 4th Qtr 2000