cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: LGPL + APL = not good!
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 06:18:38 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Keith Visco wrote:
> >
> > If you really want to use a library. Write a wrapper for the library.
> > Provide the wrapper, but not the library. Just instruct people where to
> > get the library. It's that simple. We just don't want the LGPL'd code in
> > the CVS.
>
> That's all I've ever advocated. That's the point of linking against LGPL
> libraries. I'm strongly -1 for refusing to allow components that link
> against LGPL libraries.

It all depends on how the link is accomplished.

import com.abc.def.*;

is BAD, at should not be allowed for in the main distribution.

Class.forName( "com.abc.def.Ghi" );

should be OK with anyone. If you want it, obtain it. If you don't, you can
ignore the matter all together. Simple and in line with all recommendations,
desires and objections.

Niclas