cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject LGPL + APL = not good!
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:20:48 GMT
People,

the xml.apache.org PMC has voted on "indications" about license mixing.
We agreed that incorporating LGPL code for a java project might be
dangerous for a simple reason:

 - it's not legally clear the difference between code that belongs to
the library and code that does not.

This means:

 - it would be legally hard to defend code that has ships with APL +
LGPL code.

While I partially disagree with this vision (if you distribute a
library.jar file that includes both class and source code, that's
clearly a library!), I totally agreed on the votation that using xGPL
code is asking for trouble, expecially since _many_ of the companies
involved around here did exactly for the lack of xGPL stuff around.

Given that many project were donated to us and are still pushed by some
big companies, it would be totally stupid to avoid further contact and
collaboration on a particular project because of legal fear due to a
simple library that wasn't available in BSD form.

NOTE: the PMC has the right to "indicate" what a project should do, but
has no right (ASAIK) to "force" a project to do it. Nevertheless, I
agree that while technical reasons can have a digital answer (yes/no,
works/doesn't-work), legal opinions are completely anologic, expecially
without examples of real-life trials.

So, we should consider LGPL out of our radar.

Specifially for our needs, this doesn't change anything:

 1) complete regexp are _NOT_ going to be used for the sitemap. What
Pier is referring to are not "perl-like regular expressions" but sort of
"wildcards on steroyds" using * ? and **. The reason is dead simple: if
you need regexps to match your URI space complexity, your URI partition
is stupid. Using regexp make the good old mod_rewrite hack hunt us back.

 2) the PNG library is not required. We're going to use Sun's JAI which
is much better and much more complete (also FOP is going to use JAI).

See? no need for legal troubles.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.