cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java and XML Beta Chapter
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:21:42 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Brett McLaughlin wrote:
> >that's actually funny you say that - O'Reilly is, surprisingly, largely
> >a Perl shop.  Some of us, though, are working to change that
>
> There is no reason why Perl and Cocoon need to be mutually exclusive...

No, not at all!

Brett is just saying that much of the machinery behind O'Reilly
publishing system is written in PERL and we all know that PERL is great
at something but extremely poor at something else.

It would be much better to have a _complete_ XML base infrastructure for
publishing. And PERL is not that great to create _strong_ frameworks and
architectures (PERL is _designed_ so that there is always another way to
do it)

PERL makes perfect sense inside XSP pages or for use-and-throw-away
scripts, exactly where java chokes, but when it comes to architecture
engineering, well, that's a totally different story to me.

Nobody around here is insane enough to advocate that java is the best
for everything. No way.

Let's not go over this again and, please, people, let's try to be more
politically-correct with languages, ok? ;-)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.